These are not tips on how to starve yourself or how to purge. These are general tips to keep you from overeating/binging and keep your body as healthy as possible.
- Chewing guy tricks the brain into thinking you’re eating.
- Eat small portions several times throughout the day. Eating anything larger than a cup will cause your stomach to expand, making you hungrier.
- Coffee is an appetite suppressant.
- Peppermint decreases hunger and is an appetite suppressant. Drink peppermint tea or chew peppermint gum when you’re tempted to eat something you shouldn’t.
- Drink water. Sometimes your brain thinks you’re hungry when you’re really only thirsty.
- When you are really hungry, eat a whole can of low calorie soup. You will be really full, but won’t have eaten a lot of calories.
- Brush your teeth after eating. It signals to your brain that your meal is over so you won’t be tempted to eat more. Also, food tastes gross after brushing your teeth.
- Eating a lot of protein and fiber keep you fuller than simple carbs will.
- Spicy foods raise metabolism.
- Drink green tea everyday (4+ cups) to keep your metabolism up.
- Drink water- at least 2 liters a day.
- Increasing your intake once a week may raise your metabolism, but eat healthy foods. This isn’t an excuse to binge.
- Fidgeting burns calories. Try to move as much as you can.
- Eating a lot of protein increases metabolism and keeps you fuller longer.
- Take zinc and potassium supplements, these work well with kelp in raising metabolism and mobilizing fat.
- If you sit a lot every hour get up and go crazy start dancing or do jumping jacks or anything like that it will boost your metabolism for a little.
- Exercising boosts your metabolism for several hours afterwards
- Prepare your own meals if you don’t already. This way you have control over what goes into the food you’re eating.
- Take your vitamins! It keeps your hair, skin, everything healthier and your body working better.
- When eating out, always look up the calories, fat, etc. before you go. Figure out what you’re going to order and stick to it!
- Add lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best) to water to help flush out water that your body is retaining.
- Eat fruit, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains rather than over-processed crap. It keeps your body healthier, which makes it more effective at converting the food you eat into fuel.
- Exercise in the mornings. Make it a ritual and you’ll be less likely to make excuses and bail.
- Be busy or structure your time so every minute is taken up with something to do- I find this incredibly helpful.
- Set aside time everyday for meditating, taking a nap, journaling, listening to relaxing music, taking a bath, etc.
- Need I say- tumblr!
- Tell yourself that this is not a race and don’t make goals that you might not reach (like saying you HAVE to lose 10 pounds in a week or else…). This will teach you to be patient and will help you not feeling like a failure at the end (when you don’t reach your goal) and go on a binging spree. Tell yourself that if you keep at it you’re in a win-win situation since your body will have to eventually lose all that fat. Even if you just lose 1-2 pounds a week, feel good about it and keep in mind that in a few weeks that translates into a lot more than 1-2 pounds!!!
- Don’t get discouraged with yourself. You didn’t put on weight overnight, and it won’t come off overnight either. These things take time.
- How long do you think you can stick to a new plan? Find a duration that you’re 100% confident you can achieve, even if it’s just a couple of days. Once you make it to your goal date, start the process over. This not only establishes the notion that you can be successful, but also gives you a chance to start noticing that eating better makes you feel better.
- Have a reward system, don’t punish yourself. Think positive.
Before a binge
- Think to yourself with a calm voice, “I am strong and the food will not control what I do next.” Just keep saying this in your head and breathe in and out slowly. Being anxious will just make you more vulnerable, so try your best to stay calm. After that just keep distracting yourself any way possible. You can do this!
- Think about how food affects you. It might taste/feel good in the moment, but you know that immediately afterwards you will feel incredibly guilty. Keep this in mind. Is it worth it?
- When you feeling a binge coming on, make a list of all the reasons you shouldn’t, and read it 20 times. By then, you will probably realize that you don’t need the food.
- Before you binge, count to 1000, you will most likely have talked yourself out of it by then.
- When you really want to binge, imagine it very vividly- getting ready to go to the store, getting in the car, driving to the store, getting out of the car, walking into the store, getting the food, buying the food, getting in the car, driving home, getting out of the car, taking the food into the kitchen, opening the food, eating the food, etc. until you trick your body into thinking you really have eaten (this works!)
After a binge
- If you screw up, don’t just throw the towel in. Ditch the all or nothing frame of mind. Keep trying! So you ate too much…STOP RIGHT NOW! It’s much better to have binged a little and then stopped than to have binged A LOT.You can still turn it around.